Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Classroom discussion

My government class and I had a great time today discussing the current Supreme Court oral arguments for the Snyder v. Phelps case.  It's amazing how passionate and concerned my students get.  We're alternative, and a lot of people wrongfully assume that my students are selfish and violent and delinquents.  To be honest, they often are more expressive and emotional than most people.  The problem is that they often can't filter their emotions.  They were SO passionate about how immoral it is to allow people to protest at funerals, but still concerned to have our Freedom of Speech limited.


So here's the question...
How do you protect mourners at a funeral (any funeral) without over-limiting speech?  Sadly, this is not a moral question.  Although I strongly believe that it is WRONG to protest at funerals, America has been built on our civil liberties.  Our forefathers STRONGLY believed that we have the right to say whatever we want... no matter if others like it or not.  It brings up and old, yet famous, quote from Voltaire that I will close with...


"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."


0 comments:

Post a Comment