Sunday, April 25, 2010

Post One: A general history...

  Well, here goes... post number one.  I suppose before I start talking about my current experiences at teaching in an American High School, I should give a brief history of my experience (or lack there of) up to this point.
  It all started many a moons ago in a smallish Midwest city.  My mother has been an elementary school teacher all my life and she always seemed to love it.  I used to go into her classroom and help out... but I NEVER had any desire to teach elementary school.  It was rambunctious chaos!  But, teaching was still an option.  It was my freshman year of high school that I found my calling.  I had a PHENOMENAL World History teacher who brought history to life for me.  A crazy thing happened... History became FUN for me!  I couldn't satiate my thirst for information.  So there it was... inspiration at the young age of 14.  And after that, there was absolutely no question as to what I wanted to do.  What I was getting myself into, however, I hadn't fully grasped.
  Graduation came and went, and I chose to continue my education at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.  I worked towards my B. A. in History, while working in a bar and the University Geography office.  What a well-rounded college experience.  Towards the end of my college years, I didn't know what my next step was.  Minnesota has a phenomenal education program, so I kept that as an option, but what I REALLY wanted to do was teach with Teach for America.  It sounded so fantastic and fun and exciting!!  I wanted to take part. SO... I applied... and I got an interview!  And I THOUGHT I did amazing at the interview... but, alas, I did not.  I WAS REJECTED!!!  I HATED REJECTION!  And now... panic set in.  What the heck was I going to do?!?!  I still didn't have all my requirements done to even apply to grad school at the U (which included 100 hours of volunteer in classrooms and an Intro to Econ class).  So I cried a little, ate ice cream, felt somewhat negative... and then I did the only natural thing I could think of.... I picked myself up and got my butt in gear!  I found a high school that would let me do my volunteer work from January to March, and I signed up for a summer class of Econ.  Granted, I didn't have a life for a little while, but I KNEW it would be worth it... if I was accepted.  And I was!  I had no idea what a difference this would make on me...
  I had a wonderful experience as a student teacher in a Minneapolis high school and then another wonderful experience as a student teacher in a suburban middle school.  After grad school was over (8 credits short of a Masters in order to make me more hirable...) I started riding the application highway.  I filled out any and all applications I could find... to no avail.  Apparently, Masters or not, finding a job was not going to be a simple task for a young, new to the field, teacher.  So, I subbed... relatively bitter free.  (I had one bad rejection.  The suburban teacher I had worked with was changing careers (teacher to counselor) and his job was available!  BUT, I was rejected for a much more experienced teacher.)  I survived my first year of subbing, with some ups and downs, and was ready for applications and interviews again.... and started to realize it was going to be another year of rejections.  I HAD to make a change.  I wasn't happy in Minneapolis anymore, especially when I realized I'd sub again.  I was ready for my own class!!  Sign me up! I was all in!!!  Why didn't anyone realize that I had potential to be great?!?!  
  Here is where change came in... I decided to MOVE!  What else would be a logical decision?  So I did.  August 2007 I picked up and moved 18 hours away... from the North to the South... from beautiful Wisconsin lakes to the Rocky Mountains.  Only problem... I didn't have a job there either.  So, what else should a girl do when she's waiting for her teaching license to transfer states (which, by the way, was going to take 6 months!)?  Bartend to pay the bills.  And so I did.  Come March 2008, I was fed up bartending and REALLY excited to get back to my teaching career (that hadn't started yet).  
  A blessing occurred in a charter high school whose Social Studies teacher was going on maternity leave.  I applied, interviewed, and 15 minutes after leaving the interview, I was hired!!  Thank goodness!!!!!!!  It was an amazing experience!  And guess what?!  The lady I was long-term subbing for wasn't going to be coming back next year!  SO... I applied!  And, just in case, I applied for some other jobs.  Weeeeeeellll... good thing I did!  I got rejected from the school I had been teaching again.  Another huge blow for me.  BUT... another blessing occurred.  Before moving, I had interviewed for an alternative high school position, but had been rejected.  It was during that interview that I had decided I was moving no matter what.  Well... my luck started to change.  The principal of that school called me up in May, shortly after my rejection, and offered me the job I hadn't gotten the year before!  Needless to say, I didn't waste time accepting that offer!  And thus, there I have been for two years... well, finishing up two years.  I teach American History, World History, Geography, and Government to students who have slipped through the cracks at other high schools.  
  I don't have decades of experience, but I do have some wonderfully interesting tales as a teacher... and I'm sure my repertoire of tales will grow as my teaching continues.  My one disclaimer... in order to not get in trouble from my big mouth, I will remain anonymous and hopefully my city of teaching will remain anonymous... except by those who already know me. :)  
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

holtman24 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
holtman24 said...

Sounds incredible, what guts, what strength, what intestinal fortitude to continue on throughout the trials and tribulations. Glad you got your feet under you and you seem to be running with the opportunity you got.
I want to hear more!
-BB

deb said...

Rejection & Inspiration .. very powerful words. I too have been riding the application and rejection rollercoaster. But your post gave me the inpsirational boost to stay focused! I only wish my History classes / teacher could have been so fun and interesting! Miss ya :-)

David said...

Glad you're teaching; you're the kind of teacher I wish I had had more of! Keep up the great work!

Post a Comment