Thursday, February 24, 2011

Writing a Letter

When I was growing up, my Grandpa was a very strong-willed, stubborn man.  If something was happening that he didn’t approve of, he would write a letter.  To be more specific, he would pull out his typewriter and type a letter.  To me, it seemed as though he was never afraid of what would happen once he sent the letter.  If Grandpa felt so strongly to write a letter, then he was willing to take the consequences of his letter as well.  I feel that the time has arrived for me to follow in Grandpa’s footsteps, and write a letter.
Yesterday we had a meeting with all of our juniors and seniors.  We had to tell them that, as of next year, we will not have juniors and seniors any more.  We will solely be a remediation school in order to pull freshmen and sophomores up to proficiency in reading, writing, and math.  They are eliminating all electives from our school.  One thing we did not tell our students was that in December, the superintendent had actually decided to close our school.  Our principal fought for us to stay afloat.  And yet, this rescue boat we’re left with feels as though it is still being pulled toward a waterfall and we won’t exist after next year.
I get that people have different philosophies, especially about alternative education.  I’ve heard all the arguments.  “Why can’t those kids just shape up and succeed at a regular high school?”  Well, here’s my question for those arguments, “Do all people think and work in the safe fashion?  Why should we expect students to all learn the same?”  The truth is, there are work places for those who are good at math.  There are places for those who love to work with a lot of people and for those who would prefer to work alone.  There are places for people who are artistic and for those who are logical.  What in the world would make us think that a regular education high school, with 30+ students in one room, is the most efficient way to teach everyone?
Here’s another truth.  I love writing in my blog.  I love feeling as though I have an outlet and people to hear my screams about the frustrations in my district.  But these screams aren’t being heard at the level that can make a difference.  So, I’m writing a letter to the superintendent.
I had contemplated signing it anonymously, especially after hearing the type of retaliation that has been taken against teachers who’ve spoken out against the district. The longer I though, however, I realized that I am not breaking any laws.  There is nothing illegal about voicing an opinion.  In fact, I wrote a polite letter with passion.  I think I’ll finish editing it today and then mail it out.  All of our programs are getting cut: Adult and Family Ed, our expulsion program, our middle school behavior modification program, and our night school.  There will be absolutely nothing alternative about our school anymore, and it makes me sad.  So I’m writing a letter.


"I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
-Edward Everett Hale

0 comments:

Post a Comment