Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Nerdy Teacher...

I know that it's the end of the year, and I SHOULD be all wrapped up in getting the kids ready for finals... and I truly am... BUT there are some other things that often distract me.  I LOVE researching new things to teach my students.  There's something about just sitting down with a computer and blank paper and filling that paper up with new information.  It reminds me of college, and I really did love college.  I love learning!  (At least someone in my classroom does...)
Currently, I'm very excited and planning for summer classes.  I get another wonderful opportunity to listen to phenomenal professors educate me on their specialities AND teach me great practices for how to teach these to my students.  This same class allows me to dig through archives around the state and find some AMAZING primary sources that link American History to our local history.  I'm also looking at another course that integrates psychology and history, which is great since I have to create a psychology course to teach next year!  
If that isn't nerdy enough, I just discovered free podcasts on iTunes (don't mock that I just discovered this...)  They have the Discovery Channel!!  They have "Stuff You Missed in History Class"!  They even have podcasts from an old professor at the University of Minnesota!  And I downloaded them for free to watch over the summer!  How fun!! (Well... I suppose my definition of fun is different than most...)  
Why do I have to spend all my time only researching fun things for the kids?  Why can't I just expand my knowledge and learning new things?  Sometimes I think it would be wonderful to just quit teaching and go back to school.  NOT high school... college school.  I couldn't handle that drama... it's hard enough to make it through the crazy high school drama that I deal with daily.  
In any case, as my students will tell you (they tell me on a daily basis...) I am a HUGE nerd!  I love learning.  I love reading.  I even love writing papers, even though I stink at them.  I love sitting and typing on my computer.  I love telling my husband the crazy random things I learn (although I don't know if he always loves that)  :)  I am a nerdy.  A very nerdy teacher.

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

Go nerds!!! :) [I'm a nerd at heart as well, don't worry, you're not alone! ;) ]

Post a Comment