Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why I love history...

I've been pondering other options for careers, in case all goes wrong with my school and I can't find another education job.  So, here's what I've thought of so far... being as I'm the biggest nerd I know, I've been thinking about something in research.  But, I don't know if I'd be a good scholarly researcher, trying to find new ways to see historical events that have been analyzed for years.  I do, however, LOVE to learn.  I was thinking I could be a research/article writer for a website.  All the fun of researching and learning without having to constantly re-analyze.  I'm not nearly as smart as historical scholars, and I don't want to pretend to be.  According to my friend (and article editor) I have a style of writing that she likes and develops throughout my writings... so that's good, right?  My current project is an application article on William Wallace... the truth behind the myth.  So far, I think it's pretty good.  I'm going for informative without repetative and OVER informed.  Maybe I'll attach it when I've completed it.  Regardless, it's really fun to try something new and remember what made me love history so much.  They are full of those qualities that make us love and hate humanity.  The things the give us hope and make us cry.  They teach us how to be the people we want to be.  We learn from history like we learn from older brothers and sisters.  History reminds us that one wrong turn can change us into the type of people we fear the most, BUT it can also help us remember how valuable and fragile life is.  We do not need to watch Disney movies to see heros and villians.  History is full of real life ones.  Villians such as Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Rasputin, Heinrich Himmler, Kim II Sung, Valdemir Lenin, Mao Zedong, Benito Mussolini, Josef Mengele, Ivan the Terrible, Pol Pot, Vlad the Impaler, H. H. Holmes (and all other serial killers, murderers, etc.)  You get my point.  But our history, our world is FULL of heroes.  There are the ones that are famous: Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Joan of Arc, Florence Nightengale, Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Mozart, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Galileo, Theodore Roosevelt, Benjamin Franklin, Jackie Robinson, etc.  But then we are also blessed enough to have unsung heroes.  For example, the men and women that fight to protect their country from harm so people may sleep safely in their beds; the parents that teach their children to dream big and never give up; the friends that always stand by your side through thick and thin; the children who's smiles melt your heart because you know they are filled with pure, unadulterated love.  Heroes surround us everyday, and have created who we have become.  History tells their tales.

0 comments:

Post a Comment