Thursday, June 17, 2010

Podcasts!!

I love podcasts!!  As I've been working on my housework, I've been listening to the past two years of blogs from "How Stuff Work: Stuff You Missed in History Class".  FANTASTIC!!  Although there are a lot of things I've already learned from taking history classes all my life, and randomly fulfilling my curiosity through my unhealthy love of research, these podcasts add little fun stories that I have discovered would be great "fun facts" to add to my lessons.  My favorites are about Elizabeth I, which isn't surprising, because I love her!  She's absolutely fascinating!  Henry VIII was a little crazy with his 8 wives, but Elizabeth was a beautiful byproduct.... and, as the podcast mentions, one of the original players in the world.  She was quiet the little flirt, with no intention of ever marrying.  


I never thought much about podcasts.  I just thought they were for people who enjoy listening to talk radio... and to be honest, I've never had to spend time working in the yard... well, with the exception of childhood chores of mowing the lawn, but that was back when podcasts didn't exist, much less iPods.  I'd walk around jamming with my sony walkman...  In any case, I never thought much of talk radio.  I enjoy working to my VERY random mix of music.  For whatever reason, however, I decided to look at the podcasts on iTunes.  That's when I ran across "Stuff You Missed in History Class".  It made me think of the book Lies my Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen, and I was curiosity.  Well... you know the saying... curiosity killed the cat, and so, I started downloading.  And now, I'm hooked!  


In case you're curious... enjoy the website!

0 comments:

Post a Comment