Monday, June 21, 2010

A Sad Day...

It truly happens... VERY sad days in teaching.  I got a call today that one of our students, a 17 year old boy, was shot and killed last night.  It's so heartbreaking.  As teachers, we do whatever we possibly can.  We put our heart and soul into helping these kids, but sometimes they just become... stuck.  I know that our school is a Title 1 school (meaning we have a HUGE percentage of students that receive free or reduced lunch... aka we're the poor district), and troubled neighborhoods and problematic lifestyles are common with my kids, but I do become slightly defeated when tragedies like this happen.


What really adds to it is the ignorance of the rest of society.  I was reading the article online, and people posted comments underneath the article.  One post said, "Just build a fence around the neighborhood and let them kill each other."  Another said something to the effect of "bam bam thank you mam..."  What is wrong with people?!  What could possibly bring people to say things like this about other people?  About kids!?  Sure, let's just say their low life gang bangers who made their own choices... but I think that's crap.  Where is the rest of the world to step in and help show these kids there is another way?  Teachers are only around for 9 months... who is there to help them the rest of the year?  We can only help guide them during our school hours... who is there at night to keep them safe and help them realize the amazing potential they have within themselves?


Today is a sad day... and my heart is a little broken...

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh. I feel your heartache. :( I am so sorry for the loss of this student and will be praying for his family, friends, and all those who knew him.

Post a Comment