Monday, June 21, 2010

The World Cup...



Here's what I think is amazing... the World Cup.  First of all, it's taking place in South Africa, which has had a ridiculously long history of turbulation, including over 40 years of apartheid (although segregation has existed there since the Dutch arrived in the 1800s).  Then they have their first black president in the 1990s (Nelson Mandela) who's chore it is to unite his nation... which he does!  It's amazing!!!  Now, the African continent is not doing so great in the cup, BUT the amount of publicity and money being brought into South Africa is fantastic!!  Even watching the beginning of the games, the kids that get to walk out on the field either with the team members or carrying out flags are all smiles!  It's a HUGE experience for them!!

Secondly, I read this article in National Geographic (Jun 2006, Why the World Loves Soccer) during the last World Cup, and it discusses how the World Cup actually unites the world.  Countries that are in civil wars, fighting other nations, etc, actually STOP fighting during the World Cup!  In my opinion, it's more unifying than the Olympics!  Soccer (aka football) is played all over the world.  Many people spend their whole lives playing soccer.  I am absolutely amazed!!  You don't hear stories about how fans go off and get too drunk, causing fights and riots in the streets.  They just celebrate together!  They love their teams, but they LOVE watching soccer!  

I wasn't raised to love soccer... to be quite honest, I played soccer when I was in first grade, and I was the goalie.  My team was really good, so they we always on the other side of the field... and I happen to be the only girl.  It was very lonely down on my end, so I'd often play in the sand and draw pictures, maybe spin in circles, or try to catch ladybugs.  Needless to say, my parents took me out of soccer after that, thus removing any hope I had for becoming a world famous soccer player.  BUT, I still really like watching the World Cup.  And to be quite honest, it's more fun for me than watching, say, the NBA Finals or the World Series.  It's an amazing event in the world that actually causes people to pause and just enjoy life, even if the pause is only temporary.  

(Yes... those are some stirrup pants I'm sporting, and I was so proud to be #1)

SO, my theory is, if people can stop fighting to watch their teams play in the World Cup, there's hope for ending the conflicts for good.  A bit idealistic, I understand, but we can hope... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment